Mar 23, 2012

And Everything Nice

Parker and I recently bought a little cabinet from the producers' market in Bastrop.  The producers' market is probably the most fun place to shop in the universe.  It is an indoor farmers market open six days a week with store hours to accommodate anyone.  Instead of each booth operating independently, the producers' market operates more like a consignment grocery store.  Each producer has a booth but is not on site to collect payment for their goods.  Instead the transactions are completed at a checkout counter in the front of the store.  This makes it easier to buy lots of items from different vendors.  AND they take debit and credit cards!!  It's like a farmers' market all grown up and fancy!




Anyway, the cabinet we bought is just lovely.  It is handmade made from reclaimed materials, with an adorable screen cover instead of glass panes in the door.  We didn't know what we were going to do with such a narrow cabinet when we bought it, but it didn't take me long to realise that it fits mason jars perfectly.  I buy spices, whole un-ground grains, and loose tea in bulk at a health store here in Temple.  The best way I have found to store all of these items is mason jars.  You can imagine my kitchen cabinets were becoming overloaded with jars.  There is something so cute about mason jars filled with fragrant, colorful, and unusual items.  It was a shame to hide them away in a cabinet. 




 


I moved all of my mason jars to my new screen door cabinet to display and organize them.  To avoid confusion between the rye and wheat grains, I needed to label my jars.  It was a simple fix.  I used a white paint pen to write directly on the jars.  If in the future I don't need a jar for Nettle leaves, or paprika, I can easily remove the label with a cotton ball and a little finger nail polish remover.  Simple, cute, and functional!!

   



No comments:

Post a Comment