Apr 6, 2012

Family Recipes: Toad in a Hole

Family recipes always make me think of cooking and eating at my mawmaw and pawpaw's house.  Mawmaw will always be one of my role models and favorite people.  She is so warm, loving, and hardworking.  I attribute my love for all things food and cooking to her.  She taught me so much in her kitchen!  As a child I enjoyed flipping trough cookbooks and fantasizing about actually being able to prepare the recipes.  Mawmaw would let me try things under her supervision.  Toad in a holes are one of those recipes I found and made with her help.  It is basically a fried egg made in a slice of toast.  They really are perfect for children to make; simple and straight forward.  I made them frequently with Mawmaw throughout my childhood, so I deem this recipe a "family recipe" because it is a recipe I love making with my wonderful family.  First Mawmaw and now my husband!  



How to get your Toad in a Hole on:

Ingredients:
-1 slice of bread - I use homemade pain de campagne but any bread will do.
-1 egg
-1 1/2 tsp butter
-sprinkle of salt

Instructions:
-Cut a hole in the center of your slice of bread.  Do your best to imagine how much room your egg will need.  A big egg will need more room than a small one.  Gobble up the piece of bread you cut out of the center as a pre-meal snack.



-melt butter in skillet over medium heat.  When butter is melted.  Place your slice of bread in the skillet and rub it around a little so it absorbs some of the butter.  Now flip the bread over and rub it around again to get the butter on this side also.

-crack the egg into the hole in the toast.




-I don't like runny yolks so I pop mine and spread it around a little with a fork, but you don't have to do that if you are one of those people who like runny yolks.  Sprinkle a little salt onto the egg part of your toad in a hole once you have decided what to do about the yolk.




-after the bottom of your egg has firmed up, flip your bread with a spatula.  Cook until the egg is thoroughly cooked.


-That is it.  Now you can eat it.  Its is really tasty right!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment